Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pioneer not Hippie, Please.

As we have gotten farther and farther into the realm of family life with FPIES, I find myself exhausted with canning, puree-ing, dehydrating, researching, etc. I now have books about preserving foods, homesteading, and natural living. My latest adventure of looking to make my own olive oil soap has pushed me into the realm of embarrassment. Saving money, being healthier, and perhaps even looking 'green' have all been perks of our recent family adjustments. But making my own soap is a little too 'hippie' if you ask me!

Have you ever tried to eliminate soy, dairy, corn, processed grains, and sugar? It's relatively difficult. In fact, there are days that I just want to say 'screw it all!' and feed my family Oscar Meyer drowning in a coat of Heinz and resting in a Rainbow Bread bun. Agh! The more I learn, the more I wish I didn't know, and the more I have to explain to other people when they look at me with that 'oh you are one of THOSE' looks.

After expressing my frustration and insecurity to several friends, I think I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am making these choices out of necessity. I have a little girl in my house who can not have corn, dairy, soy, or grain products touch her skin. She can not accidentally ingest the soy based ink on the newspaper, or the corn base in the bath soap. It is my job to take care of her, and I will not be embarrassed.

I am a homeschooling, researching, canning, dehydrating, cooking, baking, blending, soon to be soap-making, chemical free mother. We avoid hydrogenated oils, soy products, refined sugars, dyes, preservatives, and processed foods. We limit our plastic, buy natural meats, and have organic fruit and vegetables delivered by a CSA.

I am not a hippie. I am a Pioneer. In many ways.

5 comments:

  1. I love you and think you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget the Brokovich part!Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two. I couldnt do it without your love, prayers and support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pioneer is good. Apparently one of my friends must consider me some sort of hippie freak, because she said, "Do you even use soap?"

    Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pioneer...That's a good one. Better than crunchy conservative.

    ReplyDelete