Friday, September 3, 2010

Grocery Savings

Have you heard of the Coupon Mom? She has been featured on several shows over the last few years, including Opera. I have browsed her website, couponmom.com, several times but have not been successful in applying any of her tricks and tips to my personal shopping outings. This is largely due to the fact that I absorb and process information better when it is in a book. A couple of weeks ago I was at the library and stumbled upon the Coupon Mom Book on the shelf!


I thought I might share some of the beginning tips I have read so that those super busy other moms, and also those non-readers out there could benefit. But then again if you are a non-reader you most likely are not reading my blog, so better luck next time!


  1. Plan a grocery budget.
  2. Set measurable goals. Keep track of what you spend with an envelope on the fridge for all grocery receipts.
  3. Use cash to stay on budget and carry a calculator while you shop.
  1. Always check your receipt for accurate pricing.
  1. Have knowledge of item price ranges so that you can know what a good deal is. (see number 22)
  1. Plan shopping lists carefully and stick to your list.
  1. Serve reasonable sized portions to children to save on food waste.
  2. Plan a menu complete with snacks, and serve leftovers one night a week.
  3. Designate one refrigerator shelf for clear containers of leftovers.
  4. If you cant use leftovers within two days, freeze them for future use.
  5. Eat leftovers of the previous night's dinner for lunch the next day.
  6. Think creatively when reusing leftovers, and create menu plans with leftovers in mind.
  7. 5-minute rule: If it takes you 5 min or less to prepare an item at home instead of buying precooked, prewashed or precut, then do it yourself.
  8. Cook meals at home and steer clear of fast food.
  9. Never shop when you are hungry
  10. Shop alone if you can (AMEN!)
  11. Do not assume every item in the store ad is a deal
  12. Compare unit prices
  13. Don’t fall for multiple pricing gimmicks (ie. 10 for $10 when they are $1 normally)
  1. Check different departments for better pricing (ie. nuts in bakery aisle vs. nuts in produce)
  1. Shop as quickly as possible
  1. Make a price diary for at least 6 weeks to chart sale patterns and discover the true lowest price of items you regularly buy


If you would like more detail than this, please shoot me an email and I will gladly elaborate. Happy saving!



No comments:

Post a Comment